Hi Patrick

At 22:37 24/07/02 -0500, Patrick Teague wrote:
>I'm having problems when the computer boots.  It gets as far as starting to
>load the packages, but after it starts loading the 1st or 2nd package it
>reboots & starts all over.
<snip>
>Now here's the really weird thing...  it *was* working just fine.  Then I
>actually mounted the floppy drives to the casing, screwed the cards in, put
>the top back on it & took it downstairs...  now it doesn't work no matter
>what I do.  Not only that, but if I screw the screw that holds the video
>card in all the way it gives me an FDC error when it boots, I have to
>unscrew it half a turn to a full turn to get it to boot without this.
<snip>
>Any ideas as to whether this is a software or hardware problem??  Thanks for
>any help.

The fact that screwing in the cards makes the difference suggests to me
that there's a problem with some bit of hardware somewhere.  Perhaps the
motherboard has a bit of damage somewhere and flexing it (by tightening
screws, etc) or otherwise moving it about a bit is enough to make some part
of it misbehave.  If the problem was software, then tightening a few screws
wouldn't make any difference.

You could try testing this by using your cards, drives and boot disk with
another motherboard or computer, if you can get hold of one.

>P.S. anyone know what drivers would work with a gigafast ethernet card? the
>drivers disk came with rtl8139.c <snip>

For an RTL8139 card and Bering I think you need to load mii.o and
8139too.o, in that order.  If that doesn't work, try using 8139cp.o instead
of 8139too.o - you'll still need mii.o first afaict.

cheers

Julian