----- Original Message -----
From: "Brad Fritz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Patrick Teague" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 2:41 AM
Subject: Re: [leaf-user] Earthlink PPP connection info (was: Problem booting
Bering RC3)

> On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 00:43:04 CDT Patrick Teague wrote:
>
> > Yay, it works,
>
> Cool.  In your first posting, you mentioned you had trouble with
> the CompuServe setup example not working for Earthlink.  After
> setting up for Earthlink, do you have suggestions for improving
> or adding to the docs?  Jacques is really good about incorporating
> suggestions.

Maybe having connection info on how to connect to several different ISPs for
examples or perhaps more information as to what exactly is going on.  I used
to be able to do all sorts of things with modems under dos, but it's been so
long I can barely remember anything.  I do remember there being an AT
setting that most modems had that allowed you to set the volume (S0, S1, etc
or S=1, S=2, etc).  Would this be an extra AT command just prior to ATDT?
or would this be a part of ATZ? I can't remember whether ATZ is the reset or
part of the setup...  I seem to have lost my USRobotics CD & case with all
sorts of useful AT commands :(  If I have time somewhere between now &
sometime I'll see if I can find generic AT commands & send them Jacques' way
as extra info to include.

> > thanks for the help :)
>
> Glad to help.  I just read the PPP configuration information from
> the URL above.  It seemed to do a fair job of describing the
> differences between the Compuserve example and providers using
> PAP like Earthlink.  I am probably biased from having some Linux
> PPP experience though.  If you have suggestions for improving the
> docs, send them to the list.  Jacques is good at incorporating
> them.

Ok, now I feel like a complete idiot...  I only read that 5 or 6 times over
the last 2-3 weeks.  I must have been asleep when I glanced over it again
the other day.  Then again that wouldn't surprise me with this new job...
we're setting up a new warehouse, 6am-6pm Mon-Sun is standard, I drag home &
fall asleep on the computer :)  However, I'm not sure what exactly PAP or
CHAP authentication is & I only have a vague idea of what the windows RAS
server is.  Prior to asking all my questions I did check out the earthlink
site to see if it contained any useful info...  only thing I found was
windows, been there, been hacked.

Patrick