I made the switch from cable modem (which was getting worse every week
with AT&T Broadband) back to DSL through SBC Global.  After a few
problems here and there, I was able to get PPPoE working with Bering RC3
on the router and the client machines through DHCPD.  The only change I
made to Bering was to update the shorewall to 1.33 per Jacques update
page following those instructions in the readme.  I tried to update to
latest 1.35 LRP from the Shorewall site but couldn't figure out how that
was done as my firewall rules would never load.  I never had to deal
with updating IP addresses before since it was pretty fixed even though
AT&T configured through a DHCP server so I would just update my IP
address manually every month through dyndns.org.  Now I'm not sure how
often the DSL connection will stay up and reassign a new IP address so I
figure I would try and configure ez-ipupd.lrp through Jacques site and
instructions.  Seems pretty straightforward the configuration file.  The
problem is I'm not sure if I'm just doing something wrong or if my IP
has been blocked.  The error message I'm getting is:

connect: Connection refused:
error connecting to members.dyndns.org:80

I've tried to run it manually also after following the prompts and get
the same error.  I can still login through a web browser to view my
account but I don't see anywhere that shows that I may be blocked.  My
configuration file:

service-type=dyndns
user=user:password
interface=ppp0
host=username.homeip.net
#[EMAIL PROTECTED]
max-interval=2073600
cache-file=/tmp/ez-ipup

I've tried it with and without the notify-email option and same results.
Am I missing something or do I have to fill out their webform to ask
them to stop the block?

My other problem is with socks5.lrp.  Since I'm starting with another
router from scratch again I thought I'd give it another shot as the last
time I updated to Dachstein, for some reason socks5 didn't seem to work
right with file transfers although I could connect to the proxy.  I'm
guessing the problem with socks5 now is that I need to configure
firewall rules to pass port 1080.  Anyway, I can't even connect using
Trillian if I configure it with the proxy server using this config:

set SOCKS5_BINDINTFC 192.168.1.254:1080

interface 192.168.1. - eth1
interface - - ppp0
auth 192.168.1. - -