I'm trying to test a LEAF Bering firewall, with just two interfaces at
present.  I'm not sure if I have a routing problem, a DNS problem, or a
shorewall problem.  I downloaded a tcpdump.lrp and the libp, but these
were for a 2.2 kernel series.  Tcpdump works, but it appears to accumulate
a lot of traffic before it displays anything.  In other words, I don't
trust it.

On eth0, I have a dsl connection.  eth0 is the default (route) dev.

On eth3, I have a test machine, 192.168.8.23

The firewall on eth3 is 192.168.8.22, with the name franklin, and
192.168.8.2, with the name dns2. Interfaces are eth3, and eth3:0.

>From the fw and from the test machine, I can ping the gateway on the dsl
connection using it's IP number.  After some delay, tcpdump shows traffic
on eth0.

If I ping by name, i.e.yahoo.com, however, there is no eth0 traffic.  The
test machine can only do a lookup using dns2, which should be dnscache.
And it should pass the request up and out on eth0.  What am I missing?
dnscache shows up in the process list.  How can I see what requests it
gets?

--
Sincerely,

David Smead