On Sat, 10 Aug 2002, David Smead wrote:

> I'm trying to test a LEAF Bering firewall, with just two interfaces at
> present.  I'm not sure if I have a routing problem, a DNS problem, or a
> shorewall problem.  I downloaded a tcpdump.lrp and the libp, but these
> were for a 2.2 kernel series.  Tcpdump works, but it appears to accumulate
> a lot of traffic before it displays anything.  In other words, I don't
> trust it.

This sounds more like a buffering issue.  Are you piping the output to
more?  If so, tcpdump would not know you wanted instant gratification, and
would buffer the output to minimize output blocking.

> On eth0, I have a dsl connection.  eth0 is the default (route) dev.
>
> On eth3, I have a test machine, 192.168.8.23
>
> The firewall on eth3 is 192.168.8.22, with the name franklin, and
> 192.168.8.2, with the name dns2. Interfaces are eth3, and eth3:0.

Have you been able to get this to work without the complication of aliased
interfaces?

> >From the fw and from the test machine, I can ping the gateway on the dsl
> connection using it's IP number.  After some delay, tcpdump shows traffic
> on eth0.
>
> If I ping by name, i.e.yahoo.com, however, there is no eth0 traffic.  The
> test machine can only do a lookup using dns2, which should be dnscache.
> And it should pass the request up and out on eth0.  What am I missing?
> dnscache shows up in the process list.  How can I see what requests it
> gets?

Have you checked for firewall messages in /var/log/syslog?
Have you configured dnscache?
Have you collected diagnostics (see SR faq at end of message) to determine
that the actual configuration corresponds with your stated configuration?
How is your firewall configured? (iptables -L -n)

DCN:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing