On Thursday 08 August 2002 01:53, Mark Ivey wrote:
> I'm running Bering rc3, with an ADSL connection from PacBell (SBC?)
> and two days ago it started disconnecting & reconnecting more often
> than I remember. It also managed to not reconnect once, which is odd.

>  Aug 6 15:37:36 firewall pppd[32056]: LCP terminated by peer

It sounds like the error is on the ISP's end. You might call them and
see if they can shed any light on this, since it wasn't doing it before.
They may have also instigated a connection time limit and are
dropping connections when this TTL is exceeded. Personally, with
my experience with SBC, they all need a thorough spanking and
possibly a few classes on setting up networking protocols.... IMHO,
their ignorance in setting up their network and phone-support have
costs them more customers than any ISP I have ever dealt with.

It took me several months to convice them that PPPoE wasn't supported
with the Novell login clients (or Novell period) before they would even
acknowledge the fact. I do remeber something about a TTL on the PPPoE
connections, but I don't know how this was implemented with their
system.
--

~Lynn Avants
aka Guitarlynn

guitarlynn at users.sourceforge.net
http://leaf.sourceforge.net

If linux isn't the answer, you've probably got the wrong question!