I missed this one first time around, but as an erstwhile SBC-PPPoE user,
let me suggest two things:

1. You report the termination of the connection in a log excerpt, but you
don't say how old the connection was. There is a lot of difference between
a termination that occurs after 2 minutes (or 30 seconds) and one that
occurs after an hour or more of operation. If you want help at the level of
analyging failure, please post the complete set of log entries (deleting
only your password, otherwise intact) for a connection attempt. "LCP
terminated by peer" is the way about any connection failure ends; we need
tos ee what comes ahead of that.

2. Consider the possibility that your DSL modem is flaky. This happened to
me once (the symptom was very slow line speeds, not disconnects), and all
it took to fix was power cycling the modem.

At 12:33 PM 8/11/02 -0500, guitarlynn wrote:
>On Thursday 08 August 2002 01:53, Mark Ivey wrote:
> > I'm running Bering rc3, with an ADSL connection from PacBell (SBC?)
> > and two days ago it started disconnecting & reconnecting more often
> > than I remember. It also managed to not reconnect once, which is odd.
>
> >  Aug 6 15:37:36 firewall pppd[32056]: LCP terminated by peer
>
>It sounds like the error is on the ISP's end. You might call them and
>see if they can shed any light on this, since it wasn't doing it before.
>They may have also instigated a connection time limit and are
>dropping connections when this TTL is exceeded. Personally, with
>my experience with SBC, they all need a thorough spanking and
>possibly a few classes on setting up networking protocols.... IMHO,
>their ignorance in setting up their network and phone-support have
>costs them more customers than any ISP I have ever dealt with.
[...]