On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, brooksp5 wrote:

> Hi all,
> Just a quick question about compiling a kernel for Bering.
> Is it possible to compile a kernel with built in support for interface
> cards -thus removing the requirement of defining the drivers as modules.

In most cases, yes, but...

> I will be running it off a 32MB CF card so I am not worried about the
> kernel size.

... I don't understand why you have to eliminate modules if diskspace is
not an issue.

Arguments to modify the behavior of drivers compiled into the kernel must
be passed through the boot loader.  I have found methods for loading
modules to be much more consistent and maintainable than the methods
available to compiled-in drivers. But, I have not used FDDI, so specific
driver characteristics could override this general observation.

> Specifically I want to enable FDDI support, I have enabled it on my Mandrake
> system, but now want to make a Bering router to connect to a FDDI network.
> I have found some references to Token Ring in some of the early Linux Router
> information but nothing about FDDI.
> Any help or comments will be very appreciated.

DCN:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing