On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 06:56:04 +0530 S Mohan wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> I guess this is an often asked question. I'm trying to prepare a hdd for
> bering boot. I booted the system from a floppy, loaded ide-mod.o,
> ide-disk.o and ide-probe-mod.o into /boot/lib/modules, enumerated them
> in /boot/etc/modules. I did a manual insmod and then am able to mount
> the hdd. Did syslinux, xfr of linux and edited syslinux.cfg to point
> pkgpath and boot to /dev/hda1. I backed up the current config using d l
> >>c>>hda1:msdos and the package got backed up fully. I edited linuxrc to
> show verbose messages before backing up.

Sounds good so far, although your abbreviations/summaries in the
description of copying the files to the HDD was somewhat hard to
follow.

> When I boot, the boot device is not recognised. The system hangs after
> generating /dev directory and trying to load boot. Obviously, the disk
> is not getting recognised. Since the system is going to linuxrc, ide
> drivers would have got loaded after initrd. In may earlier attempt I got
> errors here as I had included the .o extension in the /boot/etc/modules
> file. Thus I know the drivers are getting loaded now - no error msgs.
> Maybe /dev/hda1 is not accessible! Why? I can mount and access thro'
> commandline.

<emphasis>As far as I can tell from my interpretation of your
description</emphasis>, the hang isn't the result of the usual
suspects like a bad MBR, missing module files, or errors in
/boot/etc/modules .

I know it can be a pain to transcribe error messages from a
non-booting machine, but could you include the console messages
from when the ide-* modules are loaded during boot, including
the output following those insmods, and any other lines from
boot-up that are related to disks and filesystems?  The last
few lines before the hang are always good to include too.

If you have a serial port handy, you might add the syslinux.cfg
lines described at
  http://leaf-project.org/devel/jnilo/buconsole.html
to allow you to copy and paste them.

--Brad