hi Miguel.
    I've been using 'bering_1.0-rc[2,3]'  to firewall and route my
company's lan for about 8 mo. It works flawlessly. There are
Instructions for making a bootable CD in the documentation at
sourceforge. It will be faster than RH on a 486 because it doesn't use
the hard drive but be carefull of isa nic cards.
    What type of routing are you doing; that would be hard with redhat?
    Is it the firewall/router to the internet?

Download the latest verison of bering, the bering modules, and any
bering specific pacages you need. If you need additional packages I've
been using Oxygen's packages (also on sourceforge).

I hope this helps.
chrisj