Hey Miguel,
    The modules will depend on what chipset your ethernet cards are. I
have been using intel pro100's (a very nice card) and the module is
'eepro100.o'.  A good way to determine which module to use is put in a
recent (7.2,7.3) redhat cd or boot disk and see which modules it loads.
Redhat will usually detect the card and load the proper module. Or you
can search news groups for the card model number and "linux" or
something like that. On your leaf disk add the module to /lib/module and
make them load off boot by editing the module option under the packages
menu of lrcfg. (does that make any sense? I know it a long run-on sentence).
    Bering has a great cisco vlan module. if your 2 or 3 networks
(subnets?) are on a cisco switch you could do it all with one nic. but
they're cheep and cisco switches are not.
    As long as the 486 has pci slots It will be fine (100Mb no problem)
as long as you don't filter too much or log allot of info.
    If you have a linux box to work with use the Bering*.bin and 'dd'
it. the win *.exe is as happy (it would always give me errors verifying
the format). If you don't have allot of space requirements just use a
floppy it's easier and quicker.
chrisj

ps. if your posting to the group its bad manners to use html.