-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Matt
Stockdale
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2002 6:35 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [leaf-user] LEAF Newbie - Questions reguarding 4501 Bering
install

As is usual, I got it working all of 15 seconds after I sent this out. Turns
out I shouldn't have fdisked it, just used "mkdosfs /dev/hde"

Matt

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 06:09:36PM -0400, Matt Stockdale wrote:
> I've searched the archives to some extent, but I couldn't find anything
relevant.. If however, I missed something, please point me in the right
direction..

> I'm attempting to install Bering rc3 onto a CF card, which will go into my
soekris 4501. I'm using RedHat 7.2 running on my IBM thinkpad (which has a
CF adapter built into it) to place the files on the CF. However, the 4501
just refuses to boot it.

> I've followed the instructions at
http://www.franzdoodle.com/bering/net4501_cf.txt, and also the very similar
set at
http://www.mail-archive.com/leaf-cvs-commits@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00074.
html.

> I wasn't sure how the CF was supposed to be made bootable as listed in the
franzdoodle docs, there was no mention of running syslinux on the CF (which
I did anyways), and I even tried adding "serial 0 19200" to the top of
syslinux.cfg, to see if it was even booting syslinux, which is doesn't
appear to be.

> the CF I'm using is a Transcend 32mb that worked fine w/ emBSD.
>
> I used linux fdisk to partition it w/ 1 partition, spanning the whole CF,
of type "FAT16" (hde1), and made the partition bootable. I copied all the
files over from the floppy image, replaced the kernel w/ one I compiled
(2.4.19) w/ serial support and serial console support built in, copied over
the ide and natsemi modules, and edited added the ttyS0 getty to inittab and
securetty..