From: Matt Stockdale [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, August 30, 2002 10:35 AM
To: Eric B Kiser
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [leaf-user] LEAF Newbie - Questions reguarding 4501 Bering
install

I had to move away from emBSD because it has bugs when interacting w/ either
the 4501 or the natsemi ethernet onboard specifically. When I had a lot of
open connections through NAT (edonkey2000, winmx, etc), the ethernet would
just stop responding, and the box would eventually lock up. You could bring
it back by running a tcpdump on the interface (?!?!?! you could even tell it
to just capture a single packet. I don't know if it was flushing buffers or
something, but it did the trick). For the unit to be usable as a firewall, I
had to run tcpdumps once a minute, across all the interfaces, which impacted
performance pretty severly.

Also, I work for an ISP, and we've been forced to move all of our firewalls
to linux because OpenBSD fails so miserably under any sort of real load in
every version 3.0 release. (and older versions 2.7, 2.8, etc.  The only
version we've found to be stable is 2.9-CURRENT)

As far as LEAF goes, It's a little early for me to have much of an opinion,
but I have to say, except for the bugs, working w/ emBSD was so much better.
No mucking about w/ packages, it just ran w/ ufs right on the CF. SSH and
SCP by default.  It's not an entirely fair comparison, of course, because
LEAF needs to be able to have basic functionality on just a single floppy. I
mainly chose leaf because none of the other mini-linux distros that I could
fit on a 32mb CF card seemed very polished.

I'm going to continue to play w/ bering, I'm also toying w/ the idea of
getting a larger flash card (128,192, or 256Mb perhaps) and just doing a
normal redhat (or more likely debian, which has a far smaller minimum
footprint, although I never really liked it) and install to the CF, or, just
getting a Mini-ITX case and Mobo and using a regular hard drive.

Matt

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 09:27:52AM -0400, Eric B Kiser wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> You mentioned that you had emBSD running on the 4501 previously. I have a
> few questions for you.
>
> What is your opinion of emBSD?
>
> What made you decide to try out LEAF?
>
> Do you have a comparative opinion? If so, what do you think?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

Turns

http://www.mail-archive.com/leaf-cvs-commits@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00074.
> html.
> >
> > I wasn't sure how the CF was supposed to be made bootable as listed in
the
> franzdoodle docs, there was no mention of running syslinux on the CF
(which
> I did anyways), and I even tried adding "serial 0 19200" to the top of
> syslinux.cfg, to see if it was even booting syslinux, which is doesn't
> appear to be.
> >
> > the CF I'm using is a Transcend 32mb that worked fine w/ emBSD.
> >
> > I used linux fdisk to partition it w/ 1 partition, spanning the whole
CF,