> Got it (finally!). The NOMASQ_DEST variable was set for ssh in
> network.conf. I wonder when I set that option???? The new firewall
> is a spare 1U box I made that was lying around w/o a CF reader....
> figured it might be more convient since the ISP was down for a
> while. I keep thinking I know how to troubleshoot my own system.

Possibly handy trick:

If you're migrating from Dachstein-Floppy to Dachstein-CD, you can copy
your configuration from the working Floppy system to the CD by doing a
partial backup to a blank 1.44 Meg floppy.  You'll probably have to set
the backup destination to /dev/fd0u1440 (or it will think you're using
the default 1680K floppy format!).

Once you've got the configuration files stored on a floppy, just boot
the CD using that floppy as your config disk (you'll probably want to
add lrpkg.cfg and maybe pkgpath.cfg on the floppy, as well).

You can also copy your configuration "backwards" to your floppy
system...if you've got two floppies, you could set the floppy image up
with a PKGPATH variable and automatically read the config off the second
floppy at boot time, but the easiest thing to do is probably just
extract your configuration info "on top" of your existing system.  ie:

Boot the floppy version
Put your config disk in the floppy
Mount the floppy and extract your config info...ie:
  cd /
  for FILE in /mnt/*.lrp ; do
      tar -xzvf /mnt/$FILE
  done