From what you write below, sshd seems NOT to be running. Specifically, you
write (reformatted a bit):

         if I use the ps | grep sshd command I see

                 31509 root 892 S grep sshd

This is just the entry for the grep process you ran, not one for sshd
itself. (That's the real reason why you don't see anything sshd-related
with "ps ax".) If sshd were running, you should be seeing a line that looks
something like this one (from my Debian system, so Bering might look a bit
different in the details):

         189 ?        S      0:01 /usr/sbin/sshd

Since I don't use Bering here, I can't tell you specifically how to start
sshd. For TESTING purposes, you probably can just start it from the command
line, as root. And I bet if you read the Bering docs carefully, you'll find
out how to start sshd properly.

I also didn't realize, or forgot, that Bering (apparently) doesn't include
the "netstat" command. I don't usually bypass it myself, but I *think* you
can cat /proc/net/tcp and look for an entry indicating listening on 0016 (
the hex equivalent to 22 decimal). Something like this:

         4: 00000000:0016 00000000:0000 0A 00000000:00000000 00:00000000
00000000 0        0 219 1 e7c16a20 300 0 0 2 -1