Thanks Jacques,

I'll give this a try - might take a while as I'm currently struggling on dial up and a
very slow webmail from my isp.

A couple of questions though - over the last day I've compiled on a stock redhat 7.3
(2.4.18) It compiled first time, no problems. Is the only difference between this and
what you suggest the Bering config file? Or does compiling a bering kernel previously
in the same source tree really make a difference to what my kernel modules pick up. If
I did get the same problem (do_BUG not found) what options are there for fixing this
in Bering (e.g. I could do a depmod on a standard linux box) I had a good mess around
with compile and link options to see if I could affect this, but no luck.

thanks
Dave