On 26-Sep-02 sr wrote:

> This leads me to another question: Why is another machine able to steal the
> IP address like that with Linux? Even Windoze prevents this from happening
> and just gives you an annoying popup to let you know someone else just
> connected with the same IP.

I also have noticed windows doing that, not really sure the exact mechanism
they use, maybe looking at the ARP.  Under Unix/Linux usually they trust that
if somebody is setting up a static IP address, that person knows that it's
available..  We have a group of IPs set aside for when we are setting up new
machines, and on occasion we will run into the exact same thing happening to
us, so we have to keep track of the card's ethernet address, in order to track
down where on our network the offending machine is.  During the time that both
machines are active on the network, sometimes traffic will go to one machine
and sometimes it will go to the other machine mostly random.

> Thanks especially to Ray Olszewski and Brad Fritz for their help!
>
> -sr

Bill Suetholz