> Both sides are intending to "start" the connection.... only one can
> "start" the connection, the other side(s) must "add".

Actually, this is quite legal, and how I have most of my VPN's setup
(the exceptions are the connections where one end has a dynamic IP...you
can't start these from the end that doesn't know both IPs!).

Typically, I'll set keying retries to a small number on the "more
stable" box (ie the Office VPN gateway) so if for any reason it reboots
it will restore the connections, but won't keep trying forever (in case
one of the home firewalls is off-line), while I set the home-based
systems retries to "0", so they'll keep trying to establish a connection
as long as they're on-line.

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net