Hello Lars

You wrote :

> Hello
> I am trying to set up and testing a VPN-network with Bering and Ipsec. For
> testing I am using VmWare (on W2000). VmWare can only read 1,44MB disk and
> my plan was to strip down a disk and use Partial Backup and a CD-image.
>
> But I can not get Partial Backup working correct.
> I am using Bering_1.0-rc3_img_bering_1680
> I have removed all except:
>   initrd
>   root
>   etc
>   local
>   modules
>   shorwall
>
> I am doing a full Backup on initrd and trying to do Partial on the rest.
>
> The only changes I have done to the disk are adding the files for the CD
> (IDE) in /boot/... and removing some modules in /lib/modules
>
> I get the message for all package I try to do a Partial Backup:
>
> WARNING - List of local configuration files not found!
>   Defaulting to package files in /etc and /varlib/lrpkg
>
> I am also losing information e.g. settings for the interfaces after the
> backup.
>
> I have used the Partial Backup on Dachstein without problem and I can not
> find any information that helps me.
>
> Anyone who can help me?
>
> /Lars Emilsson

There is some help on partial backup at
http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/jnilo/bubooting.html#AEN1168
but on reading again I have to admit it can be a little bit more clearer
;)

Partial Backup is a means of backing up that part of the package that
changes ( usually because you configured some settings)
It cannot be the only backup .
The idea ,as you recognised correctly ,is that the "bulk programm
package" is on one ( for example a read-only) media and a smaller
part usually the configuration files is written to  a space limited or
slow  (f.e  a floppy) media
I will describe now how to perform these useing a cd and a floppy
I use these devices because it easyer to read, but it can ofcourse be
done with other media as well.

Now what should happen at boot time
The package is loaded from CD, and is installed ( which means
extracted to its definive destination), At this moment the configuration
is in the state you wrote the package to cd (usually a default setting)
Now the partially backed up file is read from the floppy file and the
files are extracted to their destination, replaceing the default values
with your settings.

During backup the programm has to now what files should be
backed up. So it is possible to use a configuration file for each
package to list what files are in the partial backup ( lots a like the list
for the full backup)
This file is called  packagenname.local and contains lines with
I /nameof the files  to include this file
and
E/name_of_a_file to exclude name_of_a_file
always include
I/var/lib/lrpkg/PACKAGENAME so at least packagename.local is
backed up.

Now to your questions.
If this ".local" file is not found then the backup assumes that you want
to backup the configuration files, hence all files belonging to this
package and located in /etc and the /var/lib/lrpkg/thispackage files.
This is for most situations a good selection.
Note this is not an error .

2. If at reboot the order in which the package are loaded is not CD
and after that floppy, you will overwrite the configured files with the
ones from CD and all your settings are lost again.
read the chapter on partially backup and order of file loading at

http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/jnilo/bubooting.html#AEN1168

Note If i recall correctly the search order is slightly different from the
Dachstein CDversion.

Hope this helps

Eric Wolzak
member of the Bering Crew