On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, ArisB wrote:

> I'm now using bering instead of dachstein and im trying to setup a sshd
> (internal).
> So i downloaded ssh,sshd,libz,sshkey from

ssh.lrp shouldn't be necessary, and may actually be a bad idea for a
firewall.

> http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/jnilo/
> I put them on a disk (1440) and configured bering to start from 2 diskettes.
> I have made a key (with makekey) and it seems to be installed.
> but when i try to connect from a client i see this:
> "ssh_exchange_identification : connection closed by remote host" (with
> redhat 8.0), in windows with putty i only get the message "connection closed
> by remote host"

Is /etc/hosts.allow configured to let you connect?

Have you followed the instructions for configuring an "sshd" user for
privilege separation? http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/jnilo/openssh.html

> PS where can i configure silent_deny in bering?

If you mean use DENY rather than REJECT for default packet handling... in
the Shorewall policy file.

DCN:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing