Thanks, Tom!  I'll try adding the directory.

I didn't include you in my glowing praise earlier, but thanks for your work
on shorewall and for supporting it here on the list.

Sorry for the top posting, but my mailer is reluctant to add "greater than"
signs to my replies.

Or simply 'mkdir /var/lib/shorewall' prior to doing your first backup...