I've just started to play with WISP on a compact flash card. I've created a bootable WISP CF card but the process brought unexpected torment. It has left me with a few questions. ;-)

Environment:
32Mb CF card in Silicon Kit IDE to CF adapter
BIOS using CHS to see the CF card

Torment:
The CF card came out of a PocketPC and had files on it that I could see if I booted the WSIP hardware using a DOS floppy. In other words, it had a working partition on it.

I found it impossible to create two partitions on this card using fdisk on a Win98 disk or using Partition Magic 6.0 or 7.0.

After I'd fdised, all three tools misreported the the CF as having about 15Mb of free space after the first partition - even if the partition was 27Mb! When I ran syslinux.com -s c: against this card, I got no error but the system would hang on boot.

In the end I formatted the card in a friend's PocketPC and then found it possible to copy the WISP files to it from the .zip file on the WISP downloads page at:

I then made the CF bootable by booting a floppy and running syslinux -s c: against the CF card. Great! WISP now boots.

But I'd like to create a second partition for WISP's read/write files...

Now I looking at shoving an ancient Antec Descartes CF card reader/writer in a separate Linux box so I'm wondering if people have successfully partitioned and formatted the CF card for WISP using straightforward Linux fdisk and fdformat?

Also, is the second partition to be DOS or minix or does it not matter?

I've got an 8MB CF card so in theory I can dd the wisp-dist_2348_img_wdist.bin file on the LEAF downloads page. But... I can get this binary to yield its .img content. I've made it executable but executing it doesn't do anything. Is this a MacBinary? I'll bet I'm missing something else so I'm looking for a clue!

I'll also be trying to work out how to get a RTL8019AS driver on to the CF but I reckon I'll be able to work that out on my own.

I'm willing to contribute back to the WISP documentation of course.

Thanks...

Lee