At 04:31 PM 11/6/02 -0800, Cheryl Li wrote:
This is the output I get when trying to use dhclient on my LEAF (the Dachstein Linux Router Project) --

Listening on LPF/eth0/00:a0:24:xx:xx:xx
Sending on LPF/eth0/00:a0:24:xx:xx:xx
Sending on Socket/fallback/fallback-net
DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPACK from 64.180.160.xxx

IP filters: firewall [IP Forwarding: ENABLED]
bound to 10.29.71.xx -- renewal in 10800 seconds

My question is, WHY is it binding this external ip to a local ip? (10.29.71...) Btw this card is attached to my ADSL modem. As a result, I can't ping anywhere outside my LAN. (I have a 2nd card whose IP is static, and that works fine.) Would this have to do with ip forwarding or the 'ip masq'?
Your DHCP client is binding the interface to that address because that is the address the ISP's DHCP server offers it as a lease. Why is the ISP's DHCP server offering that address? Well, the real answer is: ask your ISP. Possible reasons are:

1. The ISP uses private-range addresses internally and NATs them upstream. This is probably not the answer in your case, since you say "As a result, I can't ping anywhere outside my LAN". But only probably; you may be unable to access the Internet because your firewall blocks use of private addresses on the external interface. Since you don't say which firewall package you are using with Dachstein, I can't be more specific here ... but an out-of-the-box Dachstein setup does block private-address traffic on the external interface. To see if this is the reason, read the SR FAQ (listed below) for how to check for this problem.

2. The ISP uses MAC-address assignment, and your LEAF router does not have a MAC address it recognizes. The MAC address is the "a0:24:xx:xx:xx" entry you (why?) apparently find it necessary to edit before posting here (or there is something very wrong with your NIC, if you didn't edit this number). Occasionally, an ISP will assign a local, non-routable IP address to systems that fail to authenticate, so the user can connect to the ISP's local Web site, to sort the problem out without needing to talk to someone. If this is the reasom, you'll need to sort things out with your ISP.

3. Your ISP does not use DHCP assignment at all, and you've stumbled across a DHCP server that is on the ISP's network for some reason unrelated to your service. Since you mention that the underlying connection is ADSL, your ISP might expect you to use PPPoE to connect. If this is the reason, you'll need to switch to a LEAF variant that supports PPPoE (there are Dachstein images that do this, I believe).