I would say that you could use either Bering or Dachstien as far as using
an analog modem. The problem I can see is at least 90 per cent of the PCI
modems are winmodems. I suspect that no one one the Leaf lists are using
winmodems with linux. So if you can use a non PCI modem you will find more
help and less work to make your "firewall". I have made both Bering and
Dachstein firewall with analog modems, both with internal and external
modems.
I am using Bering at this time.

Larry Platzek  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, Simon wrote:

> Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 18:10:26 -0000
> From: Simon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: [leaf-user] Some Help for a Newbie
>
> I apologise for having to send to the mailing list, but I am a bit of a
> beginner and have searched the HOWTO's section and can't find what I need...
>
> I have an old P200 that is not being used anymore and wish to make it into a
> my firewall gateway. I am trying to decide which LEAF to use. I have decided
> on either Dachstein or Bering. The Dachstein site mentions the following ...
> "To use my disk images, you need:
> * A dedicated machine to run LRP, with 2 Ethernet cards and a floppy drive
> * An xDSL, cable modem, or other standard Ethernet based internet connection
> "
>
> It is the "2 Ethernet cards" that worry me. Does this mean that I cannot use
> Dachstein (or Bering for that matter) if I have one ethernet card (RJ45) for
> my local network and one PCI Dialup Modem for the Internet Connection. ???
> I do not currently have a xDSL modem or an "always-on" connection but may
> have one in the future. Is there a LEAF branch that I can use with my POTS
> dialup connection (modem)
Not a problem with 1 or more nic + 1 modem.

> Also, how do I subscribe to the mailing list. I take it I cannot access them
> in the same way as I access NNTP servers. Are the lists entirely web (http)
> based.
I will start the subscription process but you will have to confirm to the
email sent to you.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am a bit of a newbie when it
> comes to Linux, LEAF and SourceForge
> Thanks Again
> Simon Roodt

Hope you will enjoy!