On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Ashley wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to this list, but the list archives were not found on
> sourceforge, so I have an excuse for asking stupid questions.
> (lame)

Google is your friend. :)

> I'm installing leaf-bering by floppy on a 486DX laptop with only 8MB ram.
> Kernel boots, ramdisk mounts, packages load, but it fails when running
> init:
>
> INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/getty"
>
> I'm asuming this is because there is not enough memory.

That is one explanation.  The actual error derives from root.lrp failing
to load, which could be because PKGPATH is wrong for your configuration,
or because there is not enough memory.

>  I set syst_size=4480K and log_size=512K in syslinux.cfg.  Same error.

8M was barely big enough for 2.0.36... I haven't tried so little memory on
2.2.x or 2.4.x.  If it did work, you would have to have a syst_size around
3M, and forget any useful packages.

> Is the kernel image built to support 486?

Should work fine.

> Where can I get the .config and any patches?

http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/jnilo/bdev.html has explanations, but I
recommend SIMMs instead.

I don't know where you can find the .config... the instructions seem to
imply he doesn't tune it at all.

DCN:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing