On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Ashley wrote:

> INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/getty"

Hi!
I've the same problem with my 486 and... also with pentium mainboard but
with AMD K5 75 MHz processor (with 32MB RAM). I've heard that this chip is
not 100% comptatible with iPentium.

I'm also interested in Bering working on 486 machines, but I'm afraid that
Bering in his default floppy distro is only for 586 machines, because...

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Jeff Newmiller wrote:

> > Is the kernel image built to support 486?
>
> Should work fine.

...this I got on my p120 with Bering 1.0rc4 from command: uname -a

        Linux ruter 2.4.18 #6 Sun Oct 20 15:06:22 CEST 2002 i586 unknown

so this kernel is only for 586.

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Homer Parker wrote:

> http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/jnilo/bdev.html

Maybe I will try later to compile kernel for Bering and for 486 but I'm
reflecting on this:

Are all of lrp packages in Bering standard distro optimized (compiled) for
i586 only?

If yes then installing Bering on 486 will be (for me) very hard thing. :]

--
Pawel Idzi
  http://lotnisko.net/pi/