> The Bering User Guide section 9.4 at:
>
>   http://leaf.sf.net/devel/jnilo/bubooting.html#AEN1119
>
> is probably a more appropriate reference for Bering.

I have read a lot of docs over the past few days and this is
definitely the one I should have paid attention to...

> Removing PKGPATH shouldn't be necessary.  That was a kludge to
> work around issues with old versions of the DoC nftla drivers
> that only allow a DoC partition to be mounted once.  The IDE
> drivers shouldn't complain about mounting one partition in two
> places simultaneously.

You are right, it was not necessary to remove PKGPATH.

> Sounds like the modules might not be loading.  Do you have the
> lines:
>
>   ide-mod
>   ide-disk
>   ide-probe-mod
>
> in /boot/etc/modules and the module files:
>    ^^^^^
>
>   ide-mod.o
>   ide-disk.o
>   ide-probe-mod.o
>
> in /boot/lib/modules ?
>    ^^^^^
>
> If you have DEBUG and VERBOSE set (and possibly even without
> them set), you should see the insmods during boot and some
> information about the drive.

Having them in boot was the ticket.

> Hope that helps.

Many thanks to all those who responded, I am now happily booting from my HDD.
Now to try to work out what is wrong with my PCI ADSL modem...

Regards
Andrew Braund