On Friday 29 November 2002 20:38, Christian Hoss wrote:

> The modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/net/tulip/tulip.o
> drivers, however, worked for my Macronix cards! So
> that is a step in the right direction.  After adding
> my Windows box in /etc/hosts, & configuring my Windows
> box with 192.168.1.254 as gateway & DNS server, I was
> able to ping either by IP addr & the Windows box by
> name - but not ping the firewall by name (changed in
> /etc/hostname & host).  Nor am I able to go online,
> even after pulling the power plug on my (Roadrunner)
> cable modem for 5 minutes.  Ideas?

You won't be able to ping the firewall by name unless you
set your DNS server to do so. Setting the hostname on the
machine is not what allows DNS name resolution.

As to why your not connecting to your internet, it doesn't
appear that your getting a valid dhcp lease from Roadrunner.
We'll need more information (interfaces file and shorewall
config and logs) to help more adaquately.

--

~Lynn Avants
aka Guitarlynn

guitarlynn at users.sourceforge.net
http://leaf.sourceforge.net

If linux isn't the answer, you've probably got the wrong question!