On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, willems Luc wrote:

>       Hello all ,
>
> At this moment , i have a bering 1.0 box connected to a cable operated
> which uses DHCP for dynamic IP allocation using a 20 minute lease time.
>
> I use the pump package at this moment and the system is 24Hr/24Hr  7days up.

Pump is pretty simplified... I have read that in some cases you need
dhclient to satisfy the DHCP server.

> I've noticed that after a long period ( 2 weeks and longer ) my operator
> doesn't  allow the update of my DHCP lease so that this will expire and my
> eth0 interface goes down.
> after this , i have to reboot the system te get the eth0 backup with a new IP
> address.

So you are able to renew the lease 3*24*14=1008 times, and then the DCHP
server refuses to renew?  Sounds like they want to discourage camping.

> If tried to run ifdown and ifup with 1 hour difference but the interface did
> not came up. (done this using a crontab entry as user root)

Cronjobs can be tricky, because environment variables may be different
there than when you log in.  Can you be more specific as to how it failed?

> Is there a way to force a IP update from pump so that i'll get
> a new IP address (new , meaning a different IP address , not extending my
> current DHCP lease).

Bringing down the interface and then bringing it up should do it.

DCN:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing