Added the list back in, in case somebody has something to add...

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 08:20:27AM -0800, Zane Wright wrote:
> Hey nobody replied to my posting. IF you could do it that'd be great! I

It *would* wouldn't it? ;)

I'm having a spot of trouble, though :( Well two actually, or maybe...
see below

> guess its probably time for me to start looking into the whole UML thing
> now... joys. But thanks again!

You really should though. It's pretty easy to set it up... (*I* managed
;)
Basically you get a filesystem (which is a big file), a
'kernel-executable' and a {rpm|deb|tar.gz} utility package.

You put the "file-system" file somewhere, and the "kernel" in the same
dir (in your ~/ somewhere).

Install the (in my case rpm) package on your system, and you're set...
(The package takes care of whatever needs to be on your system, for the
UML system to be able to access the hosts filesystem, network etc.)

It's pretty easy, follow the docs and you'll have it up in a couple
hours :)

http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/jnilo/uml01.html

Now, about the trouble:

Problem 1:

uml_link:~/mnt/ethloop# ll
total 16
-rw-r--r--   1 500      users          54 Oct 18  2001 Makefile
-rw-r--r--   1 500      users        9771 May  3  2002 ethloop.c
uml_link:~/mnt/ethloop# make
gcc -g -O2    ethloop.c   -o ethloop
ethloop.c:6: netpacket/packet.h: No such file or directory

"O.K. but I have packet.h on the host system." So I copy that to the UML
system:

uml_link:~/mnt/ethloop# cp ../packet.h /usr/include/netpacket/

- which *seems* to be fine. Because on the next compile, what fails is:

Problem 2:

uml_link:~/mnt/ethloop# gcc -g -O2 ethloop.c -o ethloop
ethloop.c: In function `send_raw':
ethloop.c:121: `MSG_DONTWAIT' undeclared (first use this function)
ethloop.c:121: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
ethloop.c:121: for each function it appears in.)

...now, I know enough C to agree with gcc that MSG_DONTWAIT is indeed
not declared before line 121 (or later for that matter)... what I don't
know is what to do about it...

I'm thinking that either it should get declared in packet.h but isn't
(because the packet.h from the host system [SuSE 8.0] doesn't match) or
there's some other mismatch somewhere... (?)

What do you think?

Jon