Craig Caughlin wrote:
Hi folks,
I'm preparing a new box with the latest, stable Bering and I'm wondering
if the driver might be bad? I downloaded the natsemi.o driver for the
Netgear FA311 NICs I have from
http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/jnilo/bering/latest/modules/2.4.20/net
/, and when I use it, only eth0 is detected and not eth1 as well.
Fortunately, I have another natsemi.o driver that apparently I
downloaded at some point in the past and it seems to work fine with both
NICs. I wanted to bring this to the groups' attention if the driver
that's posted is in fact (somehow) defective??? Comments???

Best Regards,
Craig

Craig,
I think maybe the one you got depends on pci_scan.o so you may need that too when you use the drivers from the "becker" area. There is another natsemi driver from the kernel proper that doesn't require pci_scan in this area:
http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/jnilo/bering/latest/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/net/
I don't completely understand the difference between the two driver sets.

Anyhow, I struggled with natsemi drivers for FA311 for a few weeks off and on. Thought the board was bad. Eventually found out that my cable isp (charter) required the same mac address as my old board to work. They said I had to leave the new natsemi board connected for 24 hours to be detected and registered by their system. (Seems like I should have just been able to tell them the mac, but no.) Anyhow, ended up compiling a newer version of natsemi.c that had hook for hardcoding a new mac addr. Used the User Mode Linux woody environment on Redhat to do the compile for Bering and it worked! So, I suspect that the natsemi driver, at least the one in the kernel area is ok since it is very similar to what I used.
-gene