On Saturday 11 January 2003 11:49 am, Craig Caughlin wrote:
> Hey thanks Jacques for the response!
> Is there any reason why I might want to use the newer driver with the
> pci-scan.o, or since I got the other drivers to work should I just take
> the "if it aint broke...don't fix it" attitude?  :-)

Newer driver????
OK, one directory contains modules that came with the kernel source. The other
directory contains modules from Donald Becker. Donald has stripped redundant
code out of his pci modules and placed it in a seperate module called
pci-scan.o. To get most of Donald's modules to work you MUST you the redundant
code module pci-scan.o......which does not exist in the kernel modules (which
include all redundant code in each module).

Neither module set is necessarily newer or better.....one set just has a
module dependancy for most pci modules and the other doesn't.. If the
kernel module works for you, use it!  ;-)

--
~Lynn Avants
Linux Embedded Appliance Firewall developer