OK, I have to do some testing here.  What I thought were 3c509 cards are
SMC-Ultra cards in my setup.

Perhaps I am wrong with the arguments the 3c509 module takes.  I thought for
sure it took the io arg, but examining the code as well as the other input
from people like Jeff and Brad make me inclined to think I am wrong.  If I
am Eyal, I apologize :)

I will have to convince myself when I get some time by setting up a box with
the 509 cards.

Thanks for all the replies.

Later,

Tony