Hi there,

I've recently had a cable modem installed at my house, shared between 3
users.
I've got it all working nicely with the default policies of

Net loc REJECT
Loc net ACCEPT

And I have added the following rules to allow my pc (192.168.1.1) to use
Direct Connect in Active mode behind the firewall.

ACCEPT  net        loc:192.168.1.1:412     tcp
ACCEPT  net        loc:192.168.1.1:412     udp
DNAT    net        loc:192.168.1.1:412     tcp
DNAT    net        loc:192.168.1.1:412     udp

It works fine, but is this the correct way of doing this?
And is it fairly secure?

Will I have to use 2 other different ports on the firewalls external
interface, e.g., 413 and 414, to enable this on the other two machines
in the house?
Is there any way to just say OPEN PORT 412?

Next question..

MSN Messanger file sharing and H323

I have to open a range of ports for MSNM's file sharing. Do I have to
ACCEPT  and DNAT all of these ports for all of the 3 machines (using 3
different ranges)?

I have glanced at the "Netfilter helper modules", but these just confuse
the hell out of me, I'm afraid my Linux knowledge is very limited.

Thanks!

James L S Neave BSc(Hons)
Software Engineer

Spur Information Solutions Ltd,