From: Scott Merrill [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, 21 January 2003 9:46 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: David Pitts
Subject: Re: [leaf-user] Unresolved Symbols

On Monday 20 January 2003 10:22 pm, David Pitts wrote:
> I am using Bering_1.0-stable_img_bering_1680.exe from
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=13751 and
> smc-ultra.o (20-Oct-2002 09:03     6k) from
> http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/jnilo/bering/rc4/modules/2.4.18/kern
> el
> /drivers/net/
>
> I haven't added anything to it other than the smc-ultra.o module.
>
> A couple of other things.  I tried to insmod another module (ne.o),
> just for comparison, which came with the distro and had a similar
> problem. And when I first mounted the Bering floppy to copy
> smc-ultra.o to /lib/modules from /mnt, the directory listing was
> corrupted (ie the result of ls /mnt).  All sorts of characters all
> over the place.  So I umounted the floppy and rebooted the router PC
> and everthing looked fine.

I'm using Bering in a P166 with two SMC Ultra cards using the same
smc-ultra.o
module as referenced above, so I know it works.

The smc-ultra.o module depends on the 8390.o module.  Try loading that
first
in /etc/modules, and then load your smc-ultra.o module(s), setting io=
and
irq= as needed.

A friend has NICs which use the ne.o and wd.o modules, both of which
_also_
require the 8390.o module to be loaded first.