On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Jay Langford wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Just thought I'd let you all know that i just setup 'Bering' to boot from an
> IDE IOMEGA Zip Drive.
>
> Boots fairly quickly still (well not as quickly as the CD, but still much
> faster than the floppy)
>
> Its a fairly straight forward process (Its pretty much all covered in the
> User Documentation under Booting other IDE devices)
> Note: You'll want to make sure that your PC Bios can boot from IDE Zip drive
> before you start
>
> Here is how i done it.
>
> *** Prepared disk content (i.e made a fully functional dual floppy setup)
>
> *** Copied the module ide-mod and ide-floppy to /boot/lib/modules and backed
> up initrd.
>
> ((Note: I already had ide-mod as i added CDROM support in the dual-floppy
> setup, so you might need more modules, {follow the unresolved symbols,
> luke}))
>
> *** Created directory on windows box (c:\bzip) and copied disk(s) contents
> to that location
>
> *** Deleted LDlinux.sys from c:\bcd
> ((this is recreated on the zip disk by syslinux.com later on))
>
> *** Download syslinux from
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/
>
> >> I got syslinux 2.0 and it worked, don't know if this was a bad move, oh
> well

If it worked, it must not have been bad. :)

> *** In DOS, Ran syslinux.com -s d: ((d is the drive letter of my zip drive))
>
> *** Edited syslinux.cfg and changed references to /dev/fd0u1680 to /dev/hdb
> (( I have a CDROM on /dev/hda))
>
> {Note: Don't use notepad for this! I don't know if you can use edit.com
> either ((may be wrong)). I always use 'ae' or 'vi/vim' on a linux box to
> do this, If you don't have a linux box use your bering firewall}

This warning is not necessary.  syslinux.cfg is the one exception to the
rule that you should use a *nix editor for configuration files on LRP
variants.  To be clear, yes it _is_ okay to use notepad for this one file,
but don't open any .LRP packages and edit the files inside them on a
Windows box.

> *** Copied all floppy disk(s) content to Zip Disk ((except ldlinux.sys which
> is already on the zip))
>
> *** Booted Zip Disk in Firewall Machine...
>
> Hope this helps...
>
> Jay

DCN:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing