Todd Pearsall wrote:
I'm pretty sure I'm having fragmentation issues for packets sent over
the IPSEC tunnel. Regular internet traffic passes fine, downloads are
Ok, etc. Over the VPN, connections hand for anything except the
smallest changes.
For example:
- I can make an ftp connection, get directory lists, download tiny files
(a couple chars in a text file), but it hangs if I try to download a 2k
file.
- I can authenticate to a database using a query tool, but requesting a
table list hangs
- I can map a M$ share, but doing a "dir" hangs it.

At 1st I thought it might be strange hardware/memory issue, but I get
the exact same results using entirely different hardware.

Based on some reading I tried "testing" the mtu settings from my desktop
PC as follows:
ping -f -n 1 -l 1410 ip.add.re.ss
Using increasing values. To a non-ipsec tunneled address my max mtu
1464 and thru the vpn was 1410. If I understood the reading, I could
then add 28 to each value to get my max mtu (1492 and 1438 respectively)

With this new found "knowledge" I've been playing with the pppoe options
in /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider

pty "pppoe -I eth0 -T 80 -m 1400"
and near the bottom
mtu 1400

But to no avail. It sounds like I want to set the non-tunneled traffic
to 1492 and the tunneled to 1438, but so far I can't get anything going
over the VPN.

I also tried flipping the shorewall.conf CLAMPMSS=Yes, back to No, but
still no luck.
Have you tried:

- Setting shorewall to clamp *ALL* traffic to the 1438 (smaller of the MTU sizes) with CLAMPMSS? This will marginally slow-down unencrypted traffic, but could get your VPN working.

- Setting the MTU on your internal system to 1438? This will also affect all traffic.

- Configured any appropriate path MTU discovery options on your VPN client systems, and verified your firewalls and VPN gateways are properly passing/generating ICMP messages regarding packet fragmentation? Many firewalls are setup to blindly drop ICMP messages, which breaks path MTU discovery. Since you're running over a VPN, you should be able to get path MTU to work properly, assuming you are running OSs that actually manage to implement TCP/IP properly (ie something other than Microsoft).

Additional note: It's probably not much help now, but if you're running M$ system traffic over your VPN (which it sounds like you plan to), be sure you apply the registry tweaks required for good performance on a high-bandwidth internet link. This increases the TCP window size, which helps M$ systems deal with high-latency networks. That's important for your VPN as well as for maximizing kazza download speed. :-)

--
Charles Steinkuehler