John Mullan wrote:
OK.  I did my research and found that Win2K Server 'Active Directory'
requires and DNS server with active/dynamic record keeping.  My DNS is
TinyDNS on my LEAF box.  TinyDNS does not register computer names (ie;
mullan2 = mullan2.mullan.ca).  When the Win2K box boots up, it takes 5-10
minutes to figure this out.

Can anyone share with me a good way to make these two boxes co-exist
peacefully?  IE; Make my private TinyDNS dynamic (probably not) or to make
the Win2K box forget about the DNS problem?
Reinstall Win2K server without AD, or spend the time and effort to come up to speed on how M$ expects you to do networking (be prepared to buy about 3X more server licenses than you ever thought you'd need, as well as upgrade every box on your network to 2K or XP...or just live with the broken-ness Microsoft forces on you to try and get you to upgrade).

It might help to through some online references as well...a google search for "microsoft co-opting internet standards" should turn up some good reading material.

BTW: Can you tell I just had a junior network admin replace a failed NT domain controller with 2KServer (with Active Directory installed) because it "has to be better than NT, and we'll have to upgrade someday anyway, right?!?". <sigh>

...sorry about the rant :-/

--
Charles Steinkuehler