-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Charles
Steinkuehler
Sent: February 8, 2003 10:26 PM
To: John Mullan
Cc: Leaf-User
Subject: Re: [leaf-user] Win2K and LEAF

John Mullan wrote:
> OK.  I did my research and found that Win2K Server 'Active Directory'
> requires and DNS server with active/dynamic record keeping.  My DNS is
> TinyDNS on my LEAF box.  TinyDNS does not register computer names (ie;
> mullan2 = mullan2.mullan.ca).  When the Win2K box boots up, it takes 5-10
> minutes to figure this out.
>
> Can anyone share with me a good way to make these two boxes co-exist
> peacefully?  IE; Make my private TinyDNS dynamic (probably not) or to make
> the Win2K box forget about the DNS problem?

Reinstall Win2K server without AD, or spend the time and effort to come
up to speed on how M$ expects you to do networking (be prepared to buy
about 3X more server licenses than you ever thought you'd need, as well
as upgrade every box on your network to 2K or XP...or just live with the
broken-ness Microsoft forces on you to try and get you to upgrade).

It might help to through some online references as well...a google
search for "microsoft co-opting internet standards" should turn up some
good reading material.

BTW:  Can you tell I just had a junior network admin replace a failed NT
domain controller with 2KServer (with Active Directory installed)
because it "has to be better than NT, and we'll have to upgrade someday
anyway, right?!?".  <sigh>

...sorry about the rant :-/

--
Charles Steinkuehler