Ronny Aasen wrote:
what kind of hardware will i need to saturate a 100 mbit switched
network.

using bering, 2 nics and no vpn or masquerading this is pure routing.
A decent pentium class system should be capable of saturating a couple 100 MBit links. You will need to use "server class" PCI NIC's (like the DEC based cards using the tulip driver, or the 3COM 3C905...I've heard good things about the Intel based cards as well, but haven't tried them personally). You'll also want a good PCI chipset (hard to quantify without getting into lots of low-level hardware details).

As a general rule of thumb, processing a packet takes a fairly fixed amount of CPU, so if your saturated 100 Mbits of traffic is lots of small packets, you'll need more CPU than if the traffic is mainly large packets for bulk transfers.

I think anything over a P133/166 should work fine, and something like a P-2 or P-3 system with a BX chipset (or better...anything with a 100 MHz FSB) would give you quite a bit of headroom.

--
Charles Steinkuehler