Preliminary comment: I just connected to the two sites Eric mentions as problems, and I have none (I use Yahoo all the time, so that's OK here too). Although I don't run Bering, I do use SBC service (but not PPPoE). My test is from a NAT'd host running Windows 98 and Netscape 4.something.

Specific comments below.