From: Ray Olszewski [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, February 28, 2003 8:19 PM
To: Dennis Christilaw; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [leaf-user] Question running Dachstein Router/FW/DHCP/DSN
and Unix...

At 07:56 PM 2/28/2003 -0800, Dennis Christilaw wrote:
>Netstat -rn is the same in Unix and so is netconf -a, but I think this
>is more if a router issue than Unix due to having taken the box to a
>house that has a Linksys Router set up and it working with the settings
>as is. We changed his entire network to match mine in IP addressing of
>the router and all that.
>
>So, with this done, I take my HP to his place and plug it in and it
>works (after configuration) and bring it home, and it does not. He is
>running the same ISP as I and we verified that his is all working with
>the same configuration as my network (DNS settings and all that from
the
>ISP).
>
>The only uncommon element in this is the Router. Since neither one of
my
>UNIX boxes can get out (especially since the Sun box used to before I
>moved to the Dachstein router), I can only conclude there is SOMETHING
>that is needed on the Dachstein setup.
>
>I would like to figure it out since I LOVE this router and really do
not
>want to have to go to something like the Linksys... :o)
[old stuff deleted]

You could be right, although just what that "SOMETHING" might be is not
immediately apparent. Nor is it likely to become apparent unless you
give
us some diagnostics to work with. We're troubleshooters, not psychics.
No
matter where the trouble is, a report like "ping fails with 'no route to

host'" is more likely to identify it than "the host can't ping".

The 5 items on my prior list would help in sorting through the
possibilities, as would the standard list of router diagnostics that you

can get from the SR FAQ. I suggest once more that you provide us with
that
info, so we have a bit more to think about than a bare "it doesn't work"

report.

One wild-card thought ... I'm used to icmp pings, but I have a hazy
memory
that some HP-UX hosts used some sort of a tcp "ping" at one time. Is it
possible that your Unix hosts do something unusual with pings? Have you
tried anything other than ping ... say accessing any of the common
services
... from them? What happens with traceroute?