See below.

At 08:16 PM 4/2/2003 -0600, Matthew Schneider wrote:
Hi,

Here is my situation:
I have a Linksys BEFCMU10 Cable modem and a firewall running Dachstein CD
protecting my internal network (192.168.1.0). The cable modem has a status
page that can be accessed through a web browser at 192.168.100.1. I would
like to be able to access this page from the internal network. When a
computer is directly connected to the cable modem, it is able to able to
access the page and ping 192.168.100.1 with no problem. I am unable to ping
192.168.100.1 from the Dachstein machine. I assume this is because of the
routing on the Dachstein machine. I tried adding a route with the following
command:

route add -host 192.168.100.1 eth0

(eth0 is the external interface).
I am still unable to ping or access the page. Is there anything else I need
to do?

"unable to ping" is not a problem description. (I probably should have this on my business cards by now ... or possibly Mike will have it engraved on my tombstone.) Pings fail in different ways and the differences are diagnostic. Refer to the LEAF FAQs for details.

For now, a guess: you are unable to ping because the Dach firewall rules block private-address (RFC1918) traffic on the external interface. So your pings may fail with a message roughly like "sendto: operation not permitted" (if the outgoing request packet is blocked) or they may fail silently (if only the incoming reply packet is blocked).

Exactly how to fix this depends on whether you are using the stock Dach firewall ruleset or one of the drop-in firewall packages (e.g., Seawall, EchoWall). In general, either turn off RFC1918 filtering or put in a custom rule that passes traffic to and from 192.168.100.1 on eth0 ... the exact how of that is package specific.

If that guess is not right, supply the full setup description (as outlined in the SR FAQ) and probably someone here will be able to spot the real problem.