From: eric wolzak [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, 28 May 2003 3:15 AM
To: David Pitts; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [leaf-user] Router Stops

Hello David, All

My router stops periodically and I can restart it by restarting
Shorewall. Lynn has suggested it might be a memory problem.  Any
suggestions how I can monitor RAM usage?  Commands built into Bering?
Packages I can run?

1. The Ram usage can be viewed from the weblet .
2 activate Spacecheck  in  lrp  settings file  and you get an email as
the "disks" fill ( as long as your router isn't stopped yet ;))

3. But I don't think  the  RAM is the cause  ,sorry I didn't follow this
treat before, What do you mean by router stops. I suppose you mean, you
cannot get connections to the internet anymore. Restarting Shorewall
does reinstall the firewall rules. and  detects some broadcasts thereby
setting a route Only restarting shorewall doesn't delete files. ( and
doesn't create more space on the Filesystem so why should the router
function after the restart if it was a "disk ram" problem ) It might
however stop remaining unused connections and clear your  table from
"outdated connections" The same should be done by takeing your external
interface down and up again. I have seen a pseudo none functional router
after someone playing network games on theinternal net and requesting
for free gameserver. just filled the tables. ( kind of unpurposed DOS ;)
) Try useing weblet to view the active connections or with the different
shorewall commands If you have to much active connections weblet will
time out.

Regards
Eric Wolzak
member of the Bering Crew

David Pitts
IT Services Manager
Reid Library
University of Western Australia

Telephone:   (08) 9380 3492     Fax:  (08) 9380 1012