Hello Simon, David

>Hi David,
>
>I have managed to unzip the file to a temporary folder /temp on another
>Bering box using
>
>mount -t msdos /dev/fd0u1680 /mnt
>cd /mnt
>tar -zxvf /temp/etc.lrp

# all steps in one liners ;)
mkdir /temp
mount -t msdos /dev/fd0u1680  /mnt
cp /mnt/etc.lrp  /temp
cd /temp
tar -xzf  etc.lrp
rm etc.lrp
# can be easier but more dangerous.don't leave etc.lrp in temp, otherwise it
will be package in the new etc.lrp

#now edit your files
cd .....
edit xxxx

#if ready  move back to temp
cd /temp
#tar all your files and the subdirectories to etc.tar
tar -cf etc.tar  *
# zip the tar file this will create etc.tar.gz
gzip etc.tar
# rename etc.tar.gz back
mv etc.tar.gz  etc.lrp
# check the size for security reasons
ls -l etc.lrp
# and compare with the original and free disk space
ls -l /mnt
# if ok
mv etc.lrp /mnt
# clean up
cd /
rm /temp -rf
umount /mnt
# wait till everything is written back.
# of course you can tar and zip as a one pipe process.

btw if you can edit etc.lrp from the boot disk, you also can edit the real
files in etc.lrp ;)
and back them up.

>On Sun, 2003-06-08 at 17:21, Simon Chalk wrote:
>> Is it possible to edit an lrp package on a Bering floppy on another
>machine.

yes see above.

>> I have a problem on one machine where incorrect configuration has stopped
>> access to the console. So I am unable to use LRCFG, since no console
>access
>> is possible.

regards
Eric Wolzak