On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Lynn Avants wrote:

> On Monday 09 June 2003 05:40 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > I don't realy think i'm un-embedding, since i'm choosing to use a
> > Disk-on-flash media to start the "embedded" OS. Floppys my fail and use
> > much more energy than a disk-on-flash. Since the smalest DoF I got have
> > 16Mb and I have memmory conserns (RAM=16Mb that I can't expand due to no
> > spare mamory slots) I wanted to use the extra "HD" space to free up ram
> > memmory. So the two things I thought is to enable swap and put the rootfs
> > away fro the ram.
>
> That *is* the difference between embedded and non-embedded. Embedded runs
> from a ramdisk and non-embedded runs from a non-RAM disk.  ;)

I beg to differ.  There is no direct linkage between "embedded" and
"ramdisk".  Personally, I think it is easier to work with a ramdisk root,
but there are certainly advantages to having a flash disk root in the
"embedded" domain.

> As I said before, LEAF is not designed to run with the '/' filesystem on
> any media other than ramdisk... which is *exactly* what you are attempting
> to do.

This is very true, but I would not presume to suggest that this would
be true for all future LEAF variants.

However, if someone chooses to set up a distro that does not use a ramdisk
as root, it will not resemble any of the current LEAF variants.  That will
mean that support for it on this email list may not be very practical
because it would differ so much from the normal LEAF variants. So if they
remained part of the LEAF alliance, they would probably need a more
specialized mailing list.

[...]

DCN:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
Work:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>              Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing