We thought that we had a successful tunnel between our side, with DCD
gateway and freeswan v1.91, and a client with a cisco router.  Both
sides successfully ping each other; but, the application on our side
cannot establish a tcp connection to the other side.

The only unusual thing we know about this vpn is that the _other_ side
will *not* allow private ip address traffic (RFC 1918/1627/1597); so, we
elected to go with a gateway<->subnet vpn setup.

Debugging this problem is complicated by the fact that our side must use
this application connection _outside_of_the_vpn_ several times per day,
until the vpn is working ;<

Furthermore, that information that you need to see is voluminous, and
somewhat private.  To that end, we shall post the greatest bulk of data
to this url:

        <http://helices.org/tmP/vpn-mcai-go.txt>

What do you think?

# rough network diagram

+---------------------+    +-----------------+
|                     |    |                 |
| 204.235.101.128/28  |<==>|  204.235.103.2  |
|                     |    |     gateway     |
+---------------------+    +-----------------+
            D                   C   ^

                                 INTERNET
                                 ========
                                    ^
      A                             |
+-----------+                   B   v
|           |              +------------------+
|  MASQ'd   |              |                  |
|  private  |------------->|  144.228.51.210  |
|  network  |              |     gateway      |

- --
Best Regards,

mds
mds resource