On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 14:17, Adam Niedzwiedzki wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm a little confused on how I setup my bering machine to allow me to
> access the configuration page on my ADSL modem.
> I have 2 nic's in my bering box with eth0 directly connected to my
> netcomm NB1300 modem. (via ethernet crossover cable).
> I followed the user guide on setting up PPPOE,
> http://leaf.sourceforge.net/doc/guide/bupppoe.html
> I can add an IP to my DSL modem but how do I setup bering to allow me to
> access the IP from my internal lan.
> eth1 has static IP: 10.0.10.1 I put 10.0.10.2 on the ADSL modem, but I
> know without additional config with bering I can't access it.
>
> I gather I need to put the IP on the modem and the eth0 nic on a
> different subnet, but how do I configure the firewall/bering to allow me
> access to the modem?

Please disregard my last response referring you to the Shorewall FAQ --
I missed the part about PPPOE.

For PPPOE, the shorewall part goes something like:

a) add zone 'modem' to /etc/shorewall/zones
b) add a record for "modem eth0 ..." in /etc/shorewall/interfaces
c) add rule "ACCEPT     fw      modem   udp     snmp"

May have to add other rules but they should be obvious from looking at
the output of "shorewall show log".

-Tom
Shoreline,     \ http://shorewall.net
Washington USA  \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]