On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Bob Alexander wrote:

> Am trying to use Bering on my T40 Thinkpad. A great project on a great
> laptop 8->
>
> Problem I have is that the T40 has no legacy FDD but only an USB attached
> external FDD.
>
> Copied usbcore, usb-uhci and usb-storage modules and rebuilt the initrd.lrp.
>
> When booting I get (transcribed manually from what I can see on the screen
> 8-<):
> hub.c: USB hub found
> hub.c: 2 ports detected
> usb_uhci.c: USB uhci at I/O 0x1820, IRQ 11
> usb_uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
> usb.c: new USB bus registered as number 2
> ... same lines as above
> usb.c: new USB hub registered, assigned bus number 3
> ... same as above
> Using /boot/lib/modules/usb-stor.o
> Insmod unresolved symbol scsi_unregister_module
> Insmod unresolved symbol scsi_register
> Insmod unresolved symbol scsi_register_module

unresolved symbols usually mean you need to insmod a different module
before this module can be loaded.

> Linuxrc Could not mount the boot device. Can't install packages
> Kernel panic: attempted to kill init
>
> >From what I understand (no guru here 8-<) could it be that the kernel does
> not support the scsi "emulation" that is usually
> used to mount a USB storage device ??
>
> How can I get this problem solved ???

Find module with specified symbol, inmode it, then try again with problem
module.

Approaches:
a) google for error message + distro + module names
b) use the "nm" utility with grep on the candidate modules
c) check the "modules.dep" file for your particular set of compiled
   modules

DCN:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing