On Sunday 26 October 2003 06:29 am, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Am 2003-10-25 14:25:09, schrieb Lynn Avants:
> >That's pretty unusual, I prefer the 509B's (ISA) for my 10M links and
> >have never had a problem using them with any image (after fixing the
> >EEPROM for Linux w/utility). IIRC, the 515's were never well supported
> >or readily used. I have heard of a lot of runtime issues with the 905's
> >(PCI) over the years, it sounds as if you may be the exception to this
> > case. In any case there shouldn't be any module dependancies with the 509
> > and 515 modules, so I would look at IRQ/IO issues instead (/proc).
>
> Not possibel, because I have my OLR LRP 2.9.4 Floppys here and they are
> working very fine with the 4 3c905B, the 3c515 (backportet from 2.2.x)
> and one 3c509B (the internet Access)

I can't say that a 3c509B card that ran in 2.2.x would run any different in
2.4.x. The only differences have been dependancies (consolidated code).
This shouldn't have changed at all in the code for ISA cards. D. Becker's
module tree is also in the modules.tgz file, maybe this tree would work
better for you with the 509/515 cards.

> My problem is, that I need 5 100MBit Nics and I like to use a ADSL-
> Ethernet Router which will be connected to the 10 MBit Card.

Understandable.

> Or can anyone recommend a Low-Cost Dual-EtherNIC which is very good
> supported by Linux ? (Thr price mus less then 80 ¤/US$)

I don't know of any dual-ports, but there are a couple of 4-port cards
available for under $200 IIRC.

> But for now, I have gotten an USB ADSL modem from my ISP and I must
> replace one of the 3c905B wit an USB 1.1 Card... :-/

Yuck!

> Or I install an other Computer which will make the Internet connection
> and use a CrossOver Cable to connect to my Router...

Double yuck! I feel for you, ADSL is something I typically avoid.
--
~Lynn Avants
Linux Embedded Appliance Firewall Developer